Breast Cancer Community
Eye Lash loss

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Eye Lash loss

I have completed Adrymicin, Cytoxin and Taxol.  Lost all my hair along with eyelashes and eyebrows.  My hair is beginning to come back but not eyelashes/eyebrows.  Losing my eyelashes was way worse than my hair.  I was wondering if they will EVER grow back.  I had very long and dark eyelashes and thick and dark eyebrows too. This has been very hard for me.  I feel I look abnormal and beginning to think I will never look normal again.  My question is will my eyelashes/eyebrows grow back?  
Yes, your eyelashes and eyebrows grow back.  And, yeah, it looks more weird than the actual head hair loss.  Mine started returning around 8 weeks after, I think, it may have been a bit longer, but they were definitely back by 6 months after (Christmas picture).  

It's the Taxol that causes the eyelash loss, I didn't lose mine until I did Taxol (I did A/C separately before, last treatment was 6/6/06).  Head hair returns about 3 weeks, but the first hair is so soft it's not really your normal hair.  I think I even did a last shave of my head mid June because the hair that was growing was icky.  I think by late August that year I had a nice crop of very soft hair.  Hair in Christmas picture was more normal and growing thicker.  

I have full head of long hair now!  I look more like pre-cancer me!
I lost my eyelashes / brows from AC.  They DO come back.  My lashes did not come in as thick or as long as they were originally , but some of that could be age as well.  My brows came back about the same.  My hair started showing up around 4 weeks after my last AC and I think the brows/lashes showed up around 2-3 weeks later.  It was like one day I didn't have them and then suddenly I noticed them.  I did use liner (soft pencil and smudge brush) during my lash-less period, and I had just enough brows that held that I could fake them...I found brow powder with a brush worked best.  

Hang in there....
Yes, losing my eyelashes was worse than any other hair on my body (I didn't mind not shaving my legs for awhile at all)!!!  I didn't have Taxol but did have AC.  The hair on my head, my lashes, and eyebrows all came back as they were before.  At first my head was darker and curlier but eventually returned to its pre-chemo state.  As "often" wrote, using soft pencil liner helped quite a bit.  One of my biggest mistakes was not to shave my head.  Even though I wear my hair short, it was a mess as it fell out.  I am now four years cancer free and never complain about a "bad hair day"!!
I must have missed losing my eyelashes on A/C!!!!  Sorry, the chemo made me forget!  I'm like Twocapes, though...loved not having to shave!!!!
im on my second round of chemo!!  yippee...NOT!  My hair fell out day 13 first go-round...still have my eyebrows and eyelashes...but am not hopeful that they will remain.. too bad that it is winter because the brazilian bikini line is kinda nice.....

has anyone had the weird phenomenon of 90 % of your hair falling out, but the remaining hair turning orange?  My hair was dark brown but what is left is a weird orangey color...i look like a bad chia pet...
Nope, no orange...but bad chia pet....  Yep, that I had.  I shaved my head of the remaining hair about once a week.  I had one stubborn spot near the top of my head that was just as annoying since it didn't even thin out and was extremely hard to shave because it was so icky.