Breast Cancer Expert Forum
FALSE FIBROADENOMA DIAGNOSIS

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

FALSE FIBROADENOMA DIAGNOSIS

Hi my name is Judy;

White Female
Dear Judy: A fibroadenoma is a type of nonmalignant lump.  It's smooth and hard, and very distinct from the rest of the breast tissue.  A doctor can usually tell simply by feeling the lump that it's a fibroadenoma.  The are usually distinct on a mammogram or ultrasound test.  They are harmless in themselves, and don't have to be removed as long as they are sure that they're fibroadenomas.  Although most physicians feel fairly confident with the diagnosis of fibroadenoma, the only way to be absolutely certain is to biopsy.  If you are concerned, you may wish to proceed with biopsy if for no other reason than your peace of mind.
Hi Judy
I have had 2 fibroadenomas removed when I was in my 20's. I also found a new lump and had it checked by a surgeon who feels it is just another fibroadenoma. But the only way to tell for sure is to biopsy. If left alone a fibroadenoma will not turn into cancer...its just bothersome knowing its in there. If you are really concerned I suggest the biopsy, that way you know for certain what it is. Try not to worry.
Take care.

Bet63
Hi!
I just went through the exact same thing last week.  My doctor felt a lump and sent me to have a mamogram (mammogram).  The center I went to would not give me a mamogram (mammogram) because I am lactating.  Instead they did an ultra sound.  The doctor came in and said it didn't look frightening to her and I had a choice of a)waiting 2 months or b) having a biopsy.  Although she wasn't nervous about it, I did not want to wait.  I chose the biopsy and went back two days later.  The doctor who performed the biopsy also said she thought it was a fibro adenoma, which was comforting but I needed to be sure.  The biopsy came back 48 hrs later - fibroadenoma.  I have peace of mind and would do it again in a heart beat if needed.