Breast Cancer Community
FIBROADENOMA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

FIBROADENOMA

recently after my 2nd mammogram and a spot compression and a ultrasound a lump was found in the ultrasound it was oval smooth with distinct borders but was lobulated.  The radiologist stated that it looked like fibroadenoma .  But she still wanted to do a core biopsy. My question is if she thinks it is a b9 tumor why do I need to have a core needle biopsy?  and why didn't she recommend a plain needle biopsy?  
Hello-
The reason being is they cant be sure it is B9 without a biopsy.The core biopsy
will give a better result than needle biopsy.Good luck

Lisa
A Fine needle aspiration is used when lumps are very small or cannot be felt,whilst a core needle biopsy( almost same as FNA) has a larger needle to enable the radiologist to obtain an adequate samples of tissue and can provide a more accurate analysis and diagnosis because it removes tissue rather than just cells.The core needle biopsy may not be very accurate in patients with very small lesions.Your doctor in stating that your lump" looks" like a fibroadenoma ,but she can't be very sure of that unless a biopsy is done.Your radiologist is being vigilant and is taking good care of you.Best wishes.