Breast Cancer Community
FIBROID CYSTS IN BREAST

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

FIBROID CYSTS IN BREAST

I RECENTLY FOUND A LUMP IN MY RIGHT ARMPIT. WENT IN YESTERDAY FOR MY ANNUAL CHECKUP AND THE DR FOUND ANOTHER ONE IN THE LOWER RIGHT BREAST. I QUESTIONED WHETHER IT WAS POSSIBLY AN INFECTION AND HE  SAID NO! THE LOOK ON HIS FACE SCARED ME TO DEATH! HE SAID THAT IT WAS POSSIBLY FIBROID CYSTS. THEY DO NOT HURT BUT THEY ARE UNCOMFORTABLE AND TENDER IF PRESSURE IS APPLIED. THEY ARE OBLONG AND GEL-LIKE NOT HARD. HAS BEEN SOME TINGLING AND ARM FALLING ASLEEP AT NIGHT. WAS TREATED A FEW YEARS BACK FOR INFECTION IN SAME BREAST AND WENT AWAY WITH ANTIBIOTICS. THEN IN 2004 HAD AN ULTRASOUND ON THE LEFT BREAST IT WAS DIAGNOSED AS DENSE TISSUE FROM TO MUCH CAFFIENE. NEEDLESS TO SAY HAVENT HAD ANY SINCE. I AM SCHEDULED FOR A MAMMO AND ULTRASOUND NEXT WEEK. I AM A 33 YR OLD MOTHER OF 2.  I DO NOT TAKE ANY HORMONES BECAUSE I SUFFERED A PULMONARY EMBOLISM TWO YEARS AGO. HAS ANYONE ELSE GONE THROUGH THIS OR FAMILIAR WITH THIS SITUATION? ONLY ONE FAMILY MEMBER HAS HAD BREAST CANCER AND SHE IS MY 2ND COUSIN. ALL CLEAR TWO YEARS NOW BECAUSE OF EARLY DETECTION!!
Did your doctor recommend a mammogram?? That would be the logical next step.
If not a mammo, an ultrasound.
It is normal for these to be done at the same time.
i go next week for mammogram and ultrasound. is it normal for them to request both at the same time?  everyone ive heard from either had one or the other.
Yes.
THANK YOU!!  :)
When taking a shower last week, by right nipple started bleeding badly.  I called my doctor who ordered a mammogram and an ultrasound.  He is now sending me to a surgeon.  I have four cysts (two in each breast) and he thinks they are fribroid adema (may be spelling it wrong).  I have three surgeries for the same thing, but they were 20 years ago, so I do not know what they were called then.  He does not beleive the bleeding was anything to worry about since it has a lot of blood.  I like to believe there is nothing wrong, but . . .
I have had many fluid-filled cysts in both breasts for many years.  I am accustomed to having mammograms and ultrasounds several times throughout the year.  Most of the time the lumps or cysts are at least tender, and often painful.  Caffeine definitely made mine worse.  The radiologist often withdrew the fluid from them -- giving immediate relief.  

Even though I find them often, they still scare me silly every time.  I can't get to the breast care center fast enough.  

Good luck.
I too have several fibroid cysts in my breast. The first time I noticed them was 14 years ago after giving birth to my second son. About 6 months later I went to the dr to find out was going on and had my first mammogram and was sent home. One month later still not knowing what was happening and worried sick i phoned the drs office and told by a nurse, don't worry its just fibroid cysts they are benign. That was the end of that. I found another dr and have had routine screenings every other year or so since to detect any changes. The condition may be rountine to drs but a woman still gets scared when something in her body is not normal ,and even after doing research of my own (the drs sure didn't give me any info) there are still many questions left open such as, do these benign cysts increase your chance for cancer later on in life, or can they suddenly become cancerous and so forth. I did recently find a website that was helpful in suggesting I stay clear of fatty foods and caffenine(which I can tell definetly makes a differance for me). It also suggest supplementing with the vitamins e and b-6 which I didn't know but can't hurt to try. If anyone is interested the website is  emh.org.
i found as in the top of both breasts about a month ago.  Very painful!  I experienced this about 6 to 9 months ago and it went away.  I went to the dr. who told me that they felt like benign cysts and told me to take some vitamin e and stop the caffine.  It continues to hurt so I went for a second opinion the other day.  She agreed with the other dr. and ordered me to have a mamogram (mammogram).  (since Im close to 40 anyway)  I go in in a week.  The other dr. scheduled me to see  a breast surgeon after that.  I am so scared.  Im sure it isnt cancer, but like you I still fear the worst!  Im not glad that you are going through this but I am glad to hear Im not alone!
Hi and I too have the same problem with benign cysts in both 3 more of them still but
had the hookwire surgery to remove one couple of weeks ago on the 7th Jan 2008.
The results was benign and follow up another ultrasound in May ,back to breast surgeon
after the ultasound.
Yes they told me to take the evening primrose oil ,vitamin E,vitamin b6 and cut out all the
caffine too.Yes I still get bad pains in them too and find very comfortable not wearing the bras most of the time.Had the cysts long time in the breasts for about six years .
I hoping to get rid of all the cysts out of the breasts and alway self exams yourself reguarly.I know Im not alone millions of women out there around the world!!!!
redglass
Hi, I felt a lump and went in to see my Fam. doctor Monday.  Wednesday I had a mamo done, they called back and asked for an ultrasound (SCARED ME TO DEATH).  Turns out I have fibroid cyst in my left breast, very painful and I have several.  My dr. said oh no big deal we will just watch you.  I said what about the discomfort etc.  he said oh that will go away.  I called my OBGYN and told her what was going on.  She is going to drain them, and do all this while I am off for the holidays.  I do feel better knowing that the problem is cyst, but the oh just watch and wait was not okay with me.  I feel that we have to become more involved in our own medical care.  My dr. wasn't the one with the discomfort, he is the one with the degreeee granted, but I chose not to just watch, wait and ache.