Breast Cancer Expert Forum
FIBROUS BREAST TISSUE

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

FIBROUS BREAST TISSUE

I posted a question yesterday in regards to fibrocystic disease.  I had another question in regards to your answer.  I do not have cysts or lumps in my breast where I am having a problem.  It is just as my surgean said an area of very dense, fibrous tissue.  You mentioned cyclic and noncyclic pain, mine is noncyclic.  It does not get any better or any worse with my period.  I never had any pain in my breasts until last September when I had the first sterotactic biopsy done.  That came back saying I had fibrocystic tissue with inflammation.  Then my left breast swelled and the doctor thought it might be an infection or abcess (abscess), treated with antibiotics, and the pain has never gone away since.  I have taken Advil, Vioxx and now I am trying Aleve for the pain.  Nothing seems to help.  Again, my doctor has suggested hormones or anti-depressants for the pain.  Is there any way that this could be something else other than fibrocystic?
Thank you
Dear dsalem, Breast pain is a common breast symptom. The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood. Breast pain is not usually associated with breast cancer.  If evaluation does not lead to a specific problem then management of the symptom is what is focused on.  Hormone therapies, certain anti-depressant medications are options of treating the symptom of breast pain. There is no one best treatment of this symptom and it may take some trial and error to figure out what helps.  If you are uncomfortable with the evaluation and feel something has been missed (particularly if the left breast has not been evaluated thoroughly) perhaps seeking a second opinion with a breast specialist to help in evaluating and treating this problem would be of benefit to you.