Breast Cancer Expert Forum
FNA? was this the right procedure?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

FNA? was this the right procedure?

Hello. My mother went for a routine mammogram 2 weeks ago and they told her to come back because her breasts are dense. So she went back, they repeated the mammogram, did an ultrasound and said there was a nodule so she needed to get an FNA (fine needle aspiration) of it. They also mentioned a clip and she said she felt several needles - i guess one to numb the area, one for the FNA and what could the other be? Is the clip placed with a needle? She said she felt scraping and the last needle was more bothersome. Also, do you think this was the correct way to go. Should she have gotten a second consult at this point? I was not able to go to the appointment and there is a language barrier with her so I"m trying to figure out what was done. I appreciate any help and thank you for your time.
Dear tjcd:  A fine needle biopsy (FNA) may be done when there is a lump that can be felt.  It does not require a mammogram.  From what you describe, it looks as thought your mother may have had a core biopsy.  This is done when there is an abnormality on mammogram or ultrasound that requires further evaluation.  The mammogram or ultrasound machine takes pictures, the breast is numbed, and a fairly large needle is introduced into the area of concern.  The images  document that the needle is in the right place.  A clip can be placed in the area using a needle-like device in case further investigation is needed in the future.  The clip will show up on x-ray and can be helpful for finding this location again in the future. This is a common way to do a biopsy when an abnormality appears on mammogram.
Thank you. After her procedure I researched all about this and I thought it sounded like a core biopsy to me too, but her prescription was for an FNA and no one there seemed to explain anything at all to her. I guess we'll have to contact the dr. to see what was done and we're just praying everything is ok.
I asked for a copy of my radiology report and postoperative report. Things were explained in detail on both.I must admit, I needed to look up some of the terms used to better understand what had taken place. Hope all is well.