Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fatty cyst and atypical cells?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fatty cyst and atypical cells?

Two weeks ago I had a fine needle biposy that showed atypical cells in what was thought to be a simple cyst. I saw what she put on the slide and it was clearly very bloody.  After several attempts, my surgeon couldn't aspirate it.  It was solid.  So I had a lumpectomy two days ago.  

She told my family that she was "cautiously optimistic" that what she removed was a fatty cyst.  I've look all over the place but can't find any information on what a fatty cyst is or why I have one.  I assume it's not cancerous.

I just turned 40 and my family has a long history of breast and gyn cancers.  My mother died at age 26 from uterine cancer and her sister had both breasts removed at age 43. Her other sister had ovarian cancer and my grandmother also had breast cancer.

I'm wondering about the atypical cells from the first biopsy?  I'm waiting for the pathology report.  I'd like to be very proactive in my treatment. (If any treatment is indicated, that is.)

Any information on this would be very apreciated.

Thanks!
Dear OrlandoMom:  Atypical cells can be many things
I am not the doctor here just someone who has had breast cancer and thought I would try to help. You are moving in the right direction. Asking lots of questions, reading and getting a copy of your pathology report. Post back when you are able to get it. You can also get tons on info and lots of support from other ladies at breastcancer.org. Go to community support then join the discussion board also. There is allot of reading on the site about atypical cells, types of breast cancer, biopies and pathology report info. I wish you well.