Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibercystic Breast Disease

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibercystic Breast Disease

I am 32 years old and was just told I have fibercystic breast disease. I am a large breasted women and have been ever since high school. I started having some breast tenderness about 4 mo ago. Now it is were it really hurts to wear a bra now, my nipples hurt horribly and have a discharge that is white creamy to yellowish at times. I felt a lump but can not feel it all the time. I also have 3 red freckle like spots on my right breast. I researched a little bit before seeing a doctor and all signs pointed to breast cancer. The mammogram and ultrasound pointed to fibercystic breast disease said my family doctor. Should I be okay with this or should I keep looking into the caner issues with the signs I have?
Dear nikki1443, Fibrocystic breasts are characterized by lumpiness and usually discomfort in one or both breasts. The condition is very common and benign, meaning that fibrocystic breasts are not malignant (cancerous). Fibrocystic breast disease (FBD), now referred to as fibrocystic changes or fibrocystic breast condition, is the most common cause of "lumpy breasts" in women and affects more than 60% of women. The condition primarily affects women between the ages of 30 and 50 and tends to become less of a problem after menopause.  

The diagnosis of fibrocystic breasts is complicated by the fact that the condition can vary widely in its severity. In some women, the symptoms of fibrocystic breast condition can be very mild with minimal breast tenderness or pain. The symptoms can also be limited in time, usually occurring only premenstrually. It may not even be possible to feel any lumps when the breasts are examined by the woman herself or by her doctor. In other women with fibrocystic breasts, the pain and tenderness are constant, and many lumpy or nodular areas can be felt throughout both breasts.

Sometimes further evaluation such as biopsy is determined to be appropriate based on the individual patient situation.  If you are concerned you may want to seek a consultation with a doctor specializing in breast conditions, these types of specialists often are associated with large academic center.