Breast Cancer Community
Fibroadenoma Grown Into Something Else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Fibroadenoma Grown Into Something Else?

Hi today I went in for an ultrasound for my left breast (I had one done earlier... around 1.5 years ago and the diagnosis was fibroadenoma). After the sonographer reviewed the images with the residing doctor in the radiology clinic, she said that I would need to do a biopsy, either a fine needle one or core, which my doctor would discuss with me.

My question is, is there an increased likelihood that the fibroadenoma/tumour is now cancerous? Because the first time I didn't need to do the biopsy but now I do? Could it have been cancerous before but just diagnosed incorrectly as fibroadenoma? Do doctors order biopsies if they suspect cancer or only as a precaution?

I just gave birth last November and my "fibroadenoma" has increased in size since breastfeeding (or at least that's when I noticed it was bigger). Can fibroadenomas grow? I've read that they are usually less than 3 cm in diameter but I'm sure mine is bigger than that... approx 5-6 cm. The shape is distinguishable (it's oval-shaped round), fairly smooth and moveable which I've read is more likely to be characteristics of a benign tumour, but can some cancerous tumours have these qualities anyway?

I am only 23 and I am so very scared about this! Please help!
However, it is also not unusual for simple fibroadenomas to increase in size during pregnancy and regress after menopause. Simple fibroadenomas are usually not considered high risk for cancer, but complex fibroadenomas (containing cysts more than 3mm in size or changes of sclerosisng adenosis) do carry a slightly increased risk of cancer. By your description, your lump sounds benign, however the sonographer probably saw some thing which made him recommend a biopsy. I think the chances of it being cancerous are very slim, but the only way to be sure is to get the biopsy.
Fibroadenomas can became cancerous in 1-2% of cases.
Thank you so much for your reply! I am undergoing a core biopsy on Monday and praying praying praying for the best!