Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibroadenoma Symptoms?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibroadenoma Symptoms?

Im a 23 yr old, and I recently found a lump on my right breast that I didn't notice until my BF accidently fell on my right breast. It was painful , a week passed and I felt the same pain. Ever since my right breast has been tender intermittently. Everytime I put pressure on it I feel discomfort I've been doing my research online and it seems fibroadenoma is the only thing that I can think of - my family has no hx of breast CA. Im also on Birthcontrol pills, should I d/c taking the pills? Im scared and never felt anything like this before, what other symptoms should I be looking for? Im going to get a sonogram this week and Im just scared its cancer or something...what should I do for the mean time? does my menstrual period have anything to do with this? bc this occured 2 weeks prior to my menses.

Dear charmbee:  A fibroadenoma is a benign (non-cancerous) growth.  It may or may not cause discomfort.  Fibrooadenomas are distinct on a mammogram or ultrasound and when aspirated - no fluid comes out. As long as the doctor is sure it is a fibroadenoma, there is no need to remove the lump. In 50% of the cases fibroadenomas will go away on their own within 5 years. In others, the life of a fibroadenoma is about 15 years. In teenagers - the tendency is not to remove fibroadenomas. In middle age women, the tendency is to remove the fibroadenomas to be sure they are, in fact, fibroadenomas.  So depending on the individual situation, putting the findings in context, a suspected fibroadenoma might be biopsied to be sure of what it is. An ultrasound cannot always make a diagnosis of fibroadenoma with certainty.
1 Comment
A related discussion, fibroadenoma or galactocele was started.
A related discussion, Fibroadenoma Removal. was started.