Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibroadenoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibroadenoma

I am 20 and i found a lump in my breast about a month ago, since then i have been for an ultrasound and a biopsy, the results have come back and the doctor said that it was a fibroadenoma but that there was something a little odd about the results (something about being stage 3 not stage 2) the suggestion was that it wasnt cancer but he still wants to remove it as its a little suspicious. Every leaflet i have been givien says that a fibroadenoma is benign and that they dont normally remove them in women as young as me, especially if there is no pain, (which there isnt).

I am worried about what this removal means, im very anxious about the doctor describing it as 'odd'?
i am going for the operation i just dont feel very clear about why or whats wrong?

Thankyou
Dear nesta50:  A fibroadenoma is a benign (non-cancerous) growth.  As long as the doctor is sure it is a fibroadenoma, there is no need to remove it, unless it is causing discomfort. In 50% of the cases fibroadenomas will go away on their own within 5 years. In others, the life of a fibroadenoma is about 15 years. In teenagers - the tendency is not to remove fibroadenomas. In middle age women, the tendency is to remove the fibroadenomas to be sure they are, in fact, fibroadenomas.  If there is any uncertainty as to what this may be, removing it will confirm diagnosis.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Fibroadenomas need to be removed. was started.