Breast Cancer Community
Fibroadenoma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Fibroadenoma

I felt a lump in my left breast two weeks ago.  My Dr.said it didnt feel suspicious however, he referred me for a surgical consult.  I had the surgical consult last week.   That Dr. stated because my mammogram was normal (it was done back in January) and I have no history of breast cancer in my family, that he is confident it is a fibroadenoma.  Is it normal practice for a Dr. to make a diagnosis on a breast lump without an ultrasound or biopsy being performed?  
Hi again,
Upon palpation,a fibroadenoma feels sort of like a marble,and it will move freely in the breast because the tumor is not attached.This is probably why the Surgeon feels confident that it is a fibroadenoma.
However,if you feel uncomfortable about this lump,you could have an Ultrasound test which will show if it has benign characteristics such as round or oval shaped and has smooth edges.
In my opinion,examining a breast lump by palpation alone might not be enough and I can understand your concern.A solid lump should be evaluated either by a mammogram or Ultrasound to confirm that the lesion is indeed a fibroadenoma .I would advise you to consult your doctor again to let him/her know about your concern and ask to order a mammogram or an Ultrasound just to make sure.If the test shows that the lump is harmless,then you have nothing to worry about,because these kind of tumors are benign and do not turn into cancer,but they have to be regularly monitored to make sure there are no changes.
Take care...

P.S. Please,if you have any additional questions or comments,it would be better if you keep them on the same thread by using the space below the answer/s you have received.This helps to have all your information together so we can better help you.
Thank you.
Thank you so much for your response and the instructions on posting.  I'm going to call my Dr. Office and see if I can request an ultrasound.