Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibroadenoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibroadenoma

Hi,,, for about 4months I have been watching a lump in my right breast, outer edge. Yesterday I went to get a mammogram and nothing was found. since the radiologist was able to feel the lump, she requested I do an ultrasound. I do have breast implants as well.
The radiologist found the lump right away. And after review said she felt fairly sure it is a fibroadenoma. She did not want to do a needle biopsy because of my implants and told me that if the lump grows that I should get an MRI before a biopsy. She took measurements and told me to come back in 6 months to see if it has grown. But if I notice any growth, I am to go in before then.
Now,, I am 45 years old. And everything I read tells me that fibroadenomas are only found in younger women. About to age 30-35. And I did tell her that I have noticed growth with the lump since I found it.
My questions is this,, should I have the MRI done anyway? There is cancer in my family, but not breast cancer. However my sister was once diagnosed with pre-cancerous cells in her breast. I had a hysterectomy in 1995 and take estrogen.
Advise please... thanks
Dear Story Girl:  Fibroadenomas are non-malignant (benign) lumps that feel smooth, and round.  They can vary from very small to quite large (5cm).  Fibroadenomas are usually distinct on a mammogram and ultrasound.  Most believe that they grow over a 12 month period and then remain stable.  They are most common in women in their teens and early 20's but can happen at any age - although they usually don't occur much after menopause (hormone therapy tricks your body into believing it is premenopausal).  Fibroadenomas have even been found in women in their 60's and 70's.  If the size is stable and the fibroadenoma is not bothering the woman - there may be no reason to remove it.  It may be worthwhile, however, to consult with a breast sugeon to discuss your concerns and determine the best approach.
I'm prejudiced: I think that when there's a feelable lump, most -- if not all -- imaging studies accomplish not a lot more than transferring money from you to the radiologists. If you have a lump that's not a cyst and is growing, at your age, you should consider some form of biopsy. That means seeing a surgeon, who very possibly would have inserted a needle and given you all the info you now have, without the need for the ultrasound. MRI is NOT accurate enough to rule things in or out with certainty which approaches that of biopsy. My prediction is that MRI will prove to be a waste of time and money.
Thank you. All of these comments are helpful. I will most likely request a surgeon look at the reports. To make matters more complicated, I am a Lupus patient as well. So i have to be careful with my immune system.
Again, thank you :-)
Story Girl
My primary care doctor agreed,,, I am scheduled to see a surgeon in two weeks 08-22-05,, for a consultation.
Thanks for the advice.
I got a copy of my test results and want other opinions,,, this is what is says.

Mammogram Findings:  A triangular marker was placed on the lump, and two views were performed in an attempt to locste the nodule. It is not identified on these views, and therefore an ultrasound will be performed.

Ultrasound Findings: I scanned this patients beeast myself. In the region of the palpable lump, there is a 2x6x6 mm oval nodule. It is hypoechoic. It is longer than tall, and well circumscribed. It is within millimeters of the implant, as the breast tissue here is very thin. It has an entirely benign appearance. Since it is not visible on mammogram, a six month followup right breast ultrasound is suggested as a way to assure its stability. The patient was also instructed to perform self-breast exams.

Impression: Birads category 3, probably benign.

Recommendation: Repeat mammogram as indicated by ACS guidlines with a six month ultrasound followup.

***************
I have an appointment to see a surgeon in a week. My primary care doctor felt I should get another opinion. What do you all think?
A related discussion, Fibroadenoma  - concerned was started.