Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibroadenoma

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibroadenoma

I had mammogram and ultrasound in July.  Radiologist said after looking at the US I had a fibroadenoma, and that it needed to be biopsied.  She told me it was a benign tumor but these are biopsied to be sure.  She didin't seem too concerned and I believe she was a breast imaging radiologist. My doctor said that he didn't see anything alarming on the report.  I don't have a copy of it.  Going for an ultrasound core biospy on 8/15. Had to wait 5 weeks for an appointment so I am hoping its not anything else.   Will they be able to remove it at that time or will I need to go back. Getting very nervous as the date gets closer.   Thank you for your time.
Dear HelenV:  Fibroadenomas are non-malignant (benign) lumps that feel smooth, and round. They can vary from very small to quite large (5cm). Fibroadenomas are usually distinct on a mammogram and ultrasound. They are most common in women in their teens and early 20's but can happen at any age. If the size is stable and the fibroadenoma is not bothering the woman - there may be no reason to remove it.   Although most physicians feel fairly confident with the diagnosis of fibroadenoma, the only way to be absolutely certain is to biopsy.  A core biopsy will not remove the fibroadenoma.  If it is a fibroadenoma, it may not need to be removed.  If it turns out to be something else, your doctor will make recommendations as to next steps.
Glad you are checking out your fibroadenoma.  In the past 25 years, I had four removed surgically and then three biopsied with core needle.  All turned out benign.  Luckily, 3-1/2 years ago I had the 8th fibroadenoma biopsied and didn't just shrug it off as another benign lesion, as it was breast cancer.  For all but the last, the radiologist was quite confident it was benign.  On the last one, I did not get the same feeling and was not given that "warm fuzzy" feeling that all was okay - so most of the time they know what they are looking at BUT it still has to be checked out.  I'm sorry you have to wait that amount of time but that's a good sign - if anything was felt to be serious, they would have found an appointment sooner.  Be aware, though, that core biopsies do not remove the total fibroadenoma - it is a sampling of tissue from the lump.  Good luck - the majority of these turn out benign.
Thank you so much for your response.  sorry to hear about your last diagnois.  Hope you are okay.  yes - I too thought that if it was something else, I would have got an earlier appointment.  Going to NYU Breast Imaging Center in New York and from what I read about it is supposed to a very good facility and luckily it is a few blocks away from where I work.  I will keep you posted.
Helen,

I was just wondering if you had any bumpy, lumpy , or indented skin on your breast.  I am having a mild indentation on my left breast, but I don't feel any hard, suspicious lumps when I do a SBE.  I went to my doctor on the 6th of august, and she told me she didn't think it was anything to worry about, but with my family history she scheduled a mamm. w/ ultasound for the 20th.  In the meantime, I am just about freaking out!
I HAVE RECENTLY NOTICED A NON PAINFUL SWELLING ABOVE MY LEFT CLAVICLE.  IT FILLS THE CAVITY.  MY RIGHT SIDE STILL HAS THE CAVITY AS USUAL.  I HAVE A VERY PAINFUL SPOT ON MY MID THORACIC SPINE WITH A SLIGHT SWELLING AS WELL.  NO ONE CAN SEEM TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOING ON.  I HAVE VERY DENSE BREASTS WITH SOME LARGE FINGERLIKE AREAS IN THE LEFT BREAST.  ANY IDEAS?  THE SWELLING IS SOFT BUT IT PRETTY MUCH FILLS THE LEFT AREA.  

CONCERNED, LINDA
No, I don't have any bumpy, lumpy or indented skin.  I have no pain nor do I feel anything.  I do have cysts in the breast that the fibroadenoma is.  I am also freaking out as I have two more days to go and waiting for the results is going to be a nightmare.  
Helen just wondering how your testing went. When Will you get the results. Hoping for b9.

Linda what test have they done? What kind of doctors are you seeing? I would see a breast specialist and ask for ultrasound, mamo and mri and maybe a total cat scan.

I wish you both well.
Testing went fine.  Had a fine needle biopsy.  had the same radiologist that diagnosed the fibroadenoma in July - that was good as she already new what was going on.  Pathologist was in the room and prelim results is a benign fibroadenoma.  There are cells around it and she said that surgeons like to remove it.  Guess to be on the safe side.    I was also luckily enough to be able to see a breast surgeon at that time and explained the procedure to me.  Its a out patient procedure. So I will be making an appointment soon to have it removed.  
A related discussion, im 24 and have had 4 lumps one removed was started.