Breast Cancer Community
Fibrocystic Breast Disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Fibrocystic Breast Disease?

In July I noticed that my right breast was very sore and felt as if there were several lumps. A doctor (there are four doctors at my doctors' office) told me that it was fibrocystic breast disease (which my mother also has) and told me to discontinue all caffeine consumption - which I did.  Two months later (along with soreness in my breast still) I returned to the office with a lump/soreness under my right armpit.  This doctor told me it was an infected cyst and placed me on an antibiotic - six days later I called again stating the antibiotic did not work.  They called me in a new one.  I returned to the office a week after that with soreness in the other breast and armpit only to be seen by a third doctor who told me that these were not cysts, but infected lymph nodes and prescribed me yet another antibiotic.  A month later I sought a different doctor who gave me the number of a breast specialist (who did not have any available appointments) but I managed to have an ultrasound done.  The doctor who performed the ultrasound said that my breast tissue is very dense and that very small cysts were pushing against the tissue causing pain and that it was normal.  I am sitting in my house now in november in tears because both breasts are aching and burning and feel like they are full of lead they are so heavy, my right armpit feels like one enormous bruise and my left is not trailing far behind.  Is this really fibrocystic breast disease or are the concerns I have warranted?
That does'nt seem at all normal to me. All those Dr.s and not one of them mentioned a Biopsy. Maybe a breast surgeon would now more. Let me  know what happens.
Tender and sore, but not to the degree you mentioned were indications for me of fibrocystic disease.  I had it for many many years before my babies were born.  I still have very dense breasts (my mammos are white, well, the remaining breast is).  You should see if you can follow up with the breast surgeon just to be sure, but it does sound like you have some inflamed cysts.  Possibly there is something else going on.  Be pushy and get in with a surgeon just to be sure.

Hope the pain eases up and there is nothing serious, just annoying, going on.
Lisa