Breast Cancer Community
Fibrocystic Breast and Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Fibrocystic Breast and Cancer

I've felt a rather large "lump" on my upper and outer right breast for at least 2 months. It does get worse before period and also stays after the period, though smaller. My GYN said she didn't feel there was a definite lump, but certainly fibrocystic and dense. She also ordered a mammogram and an ultra-sound.

I am only 26 and fortunately rational that my condition is unlikely to be cancer. HOWEVER, given that my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 36, and she also had fibrocystic breasts, I would like to know the updated theory on the relationship between fibrocystic breasts and breast cancer.

Do fibrocystic breasted women have an elevated chance of developing breast cancer?
1 Comment
I've heard that it's one of the major indicators, although not a "gimme" on breast cancer.  My mom and I both had fibrocystic breasts.  She was diagnosed at 55 with Stage 1 breast cancer, me at 36 with Stage 3 cancer.   There are other contributing factors that also go along with cancer to determine your risk.  I NEVER thought I would be this young going through this.

However, a genetic counselor can go through all of the risk factors and determine your risk.  Keep a feel on your breasts and notify someone immediately if you feel anything different.  A mammogram may not show anything (as mine did) and you are the only one who can truly know your breasts.

You can develop cancer at 26.  Sorry to say.  Biopsies are the only way to know for sure, sometimes.  I was misdiagnosed with a lactating adenoma, but it was all in good time to find out that it was cancer.  I do believe I was meant to have my second and last baby before we truly knew what was going on.