Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibrocystic breasts

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibrocystic breasts

Everything I read about fibrocystic breasts states that women with this condition experience mild to severe breast tenderness and have cysts and "lumpy" breasts where the lumps tend to increase in size prior to their monthly cycle.

Is it possible to have fibrocystic breasts and have absolutely no pain or tenderness and no cysts and with lumps or thickness that do not change with my monthly period?  My right breast only feels like it has extremely thickened - at first it was just the area right under the armpit and now it is the whole right side of my breast from the armpit to the nipple.  It feels almost like a long rope-like lump under the skin - this is new in the last six months. I also have just one small palpable mass way up near the armpit that is only 9mm and was found to be benign a few years ago and is still there, but it's not a cyst or fibroadenoma.  The FNA of this lump showed ductal cells and apocrine metaplasia.  I've never had a single cyst show up on a mammogram or ultrasound.

I'm 35 and this started when I was 30.  No one has ever mentioned fibrocysic breast disease to me, not even during an ultrasound, but is it possible this is what is going on?  My left breast feels pretty normal, no palpable lumps or noticeable thickening or changes, not even just before my period.  My right breast looks noticeably fuller than the left where they used to be the same size to the naked eye.  My breasts never hurt or feel tender, though I get occasional shooting pains under the nipple on my left breast (oddly, the one that isn't "lumpy.")

Could I have fibrocystic changes in only one breast that present only as lumpiness and thickening?
Dear tiredpoet:  It is possible to have fibrocystic changes that are not symmetrical but we could not tell you that this is what you are experiencing.  You should consider seeing a medical breast specialist who can do an examination, review films and help you to understand what you are feeling and make recommendations for surveillance.  Medical breast specialists are usually affiliated with large academic medical centers.
Thank you!  Just a quick follow up: is it uncommon for women to have fibrocystic changes in only one breast?