Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibroglandular ? Mammogram results

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibroglandular ? Mammogram results

I have my Mammogram results back and I would like to know it you could clarify some terms for me?
Ultra sound:
Report: had said there was 2 well defined hyperechoic lesions at the 3 oclock position possibility of being lymph nodes.
Then I had my mammogram
Mammogram
Report : Both breast still contain a large amount of fibroglandular tissue and are moderately dense.The increased density of the parenchyma reduces the sensitivity of mammography.Nevertheless, there is no evidence of a dominant mass,spiculated lesion or clusterof microcalcification in either breast. Within the Axillary region of the right breast,there is an 8mm nodule with a fatty hilum, likely representing intramammary lymph node.
Now does this leave any concern of it being anything else?
Should I get a second opinion about this or does this mean it is nothing?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Tammy
Dear Tammy:  The mammogram report lists no areas of concern.  An ultrasound is best at differentiating solid from cystic (fluid-filled) masses but this report also lists nothing suspicious.  If you remain concerned, you might have a discussion with your doctor or consider a second opinion.
Hi..If I could add something else.. Make sure you do your own self breast exam in addition to your yearly ammogram. When a woman has dense breast tissue it's just a bit harder to read that type of mammogram. Also, digital mammography is a useful tool in reading mammograms. They aren't performed differently, they are just able to be read differently by the radiologists. Not all facilities use digital mammography though.
Well I went to see the surgeon on Friday and he did a breast exam and said he couldnt feel the lumps either? Is it just me or does the Ultrasound lie? My doctor and the surgeon felt with there hands and said they couldnt feel anything, now for some reason I dont feel comfotable with this(Im starting to second guess myself and feel paranoid) What Im not getting is why did the ultra sound pick up on two well defined hyperechoic lesions at the three oclock position possibility of being lymph nodes that are 2.4 cm in size? Now when they did the mammo they said it was dense tissue and they had to take extra film to see but on the report it didnt mention these two lumps? Am I being peranoid about this? Now I have to wait for another doctor that does pap tests and ask her to refer me to a specialist on breasts since my doctor wont say two words to me.
My question is this  "what would yous do in my situation"?
I dont feel at ease with the way they did there exam and there findings compared to the Ultrasound.
Tammy
I would definately ask questions. My questions would start with, Are the hyperechoic lesions probably benign or somewhat suspicious of cancer? Whether or not they can feel them, if the lesions are suspicious you would want to find out what to do about them. If they are not suspicious you could wait for your next mammogram to compare it to this last one. You need to feel comfortable that they are not suspicious so you don't worry yourself crazy. This is my opinion only. You have to do what works for you.