Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fibroid adenoma biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fibroid adenoma biopsy

I am 35, pregnant, and have a lump.  The ultrasound showed a suspected fibroid adenoma, but to be sure it is not cancerous the doctor wants to biopsy it with an 11-gauge needle.  I am allergic to lidocaine, novacaine, etc (and don't want meds anyway since I am pregnant).  Can I do this biopsy without meds?  My lump is VERY near the surface and I am DESPERATE to know if it is benign or not.  How long will the needle be inside me... what can I expect during the procedure... can I DO this?!

I have no clue what to expect and am absolutely terrified!  My surgeon still wants to give me lidocaine even though he KNOWS I'm allergic (that scares me most of all... how bad will this be?!) If you could "talk me through" the procedure it would help immensely!

Thanks!
Dear asdb,  Information from the ultrasound as well as physical examination can give more or less suspicion regarding a lump, however a biopsy may be necessary to determine whether there is malignancy or not.  The decisions regarding type of biopsy would be based on doing the procedure that would most likely provide the needed information.  Regarding the use of lidocaine/novocaine - you would need to have the rediscussion with your surgeon as to the true risks vs. benefits of their use in your situation based on your prior history.   Another option would be to have a second opinion with a breast specialist to evaluate this lump and make recommendations.
I have had bc twice so my opinion is probably somewhat biased.  But, I would accept the pain of the biopsy without the medication that you are allergic to, in order to be sure I didn't have bc.  When I had my biopsies, yes it hurt but it doesn't last long.  Better to know than to find out later that you have bc that could have been caught much earlier.
I am sorry you have had breast cancer twice.  When you say 'breast cancer', it would be good if you could define what it was you had.  There are women having mastectomies for DCIS and LCIS.  'Breast cancer" is too broad a term.

If it were me, I'd sure have more imaging done, or at least have two or three other radiologists review the films.  The RN comments, if read as I read them, might suggest that they should darn well be able to tell something more definite about the adenoma from the ultrasound.

To say, "Better to know than to find out later that you have bc that could have been caught much earlier", just isn't helpful.  Again, women are getting so frightened of getting breast cancer that they are having their breasts cut off just in case.  How 'early' is early enough?  The point here is not to frighten women more, and to provide information.  Suggesting fear?  Not helpful.  Be well.
I hipe you ahve had soem resolution by now, if not i thought i'd post for moral support. I had a fibroid adenoma that grew to 3x its size during my pregnancy so my breast surgeon wanted to take it out to make sure it was ok (and indeed was a fa) I had surgery less than a month before my son was born.  Not being one who likes pain or is too brave, i have to say it wasn't bad at all. I am not allergic to anything though and i know lanacaine was used. I was very nervous about the Dr's using any meds and so we forged ahead planning to give me what i needed when i asked for it and luckily (and unbelievably) i never had to ask.  I'm sure this is all vague but given the similarities, i thouht i'd share.