Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fine needle biopsy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fine needle biopsy

In May of 99 I made the mistake of going to a free mammogram place where I do not feel I received the greatest doctor.  She must have obviously seen something suspicious because she did a needle biopsy which she says turned out benign.

In September of 2000 I was diagnosed with breast cancer from a much more reputable place.  An incisional biopsy was done to receive the results.  

My question is, why would some doctors do a needle biopsy, they don't seem to be too accurate?  If I had received the proper treatment I'm sure my cancer would have been caught in the pre-cancer stage, but now I have invasive cancer and my life will always be at risk.  I was never even warned to return within six months for another mammogram,I was just sent away thinking everything was OK.
Dear Beob:  In general, needle biopsies are done when the lump can be felt.  A stereotactic needle biopsy is done when something suspicious is felt on mammography.  A stereotactic biopsy is when the mammogram is used to place the needle in the correct area.  The pathology report from the original biopsy should explain whether or not the biopsy was benign or whether a cyst was aspirated (a benign condition).  The specifics of what was seen would determine the recommendation.  Please realize that this situation may or may not be related to your cancer diagnosis.  It could probably be figured out by having someone review all of the information from before (films and slides).  Although it may address your curiosity, it may be more important to focus on the future, making sure you are comfortable with your current physician and the plan for follow-up
I had some microcalcifications show up on my left breast.  They were tiny.  The Dr. insisted on a needle biopsy.  I finally consented.  I experienced great pain, brusing, and could not even lay down without discomfort of the pulling and cramping effect.  He put the needle in before the anesthetic had time to work.  The micro casifications did not even show up on the computer they were so small.  Why did they do that?  Why not just repeat the mamogram (mammogram) in 3 months.  He said it was 98% not cancer.  the night crawler
A related discussion, Can Needle Biopsy cause cancer? was started.
A related discussion, Dear Beob was started.