Breast Cancer Community
Finger nails turning colors from chemo
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Finger nails turning colors from chemo

I am 6 weeks post chemo (Taxotere and Carboplatin) and my fingernails turned black about 3 weeks ago.  Now the black spots are turning white and my nails are very loose around the white spots.  I trimmed them very low and have been using "Hard as Nails."

Anyone else experience this?  What did you do?  Has anyone actually had their nails fall off altogether?  

Thank you!
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
Hi.  Some chemotherapeutic drugs can cause nail discoloration.  The nails can also get dry and brittle and flake off, although this does not happen often.  These conditions are temporary and will slowly disappear after the last cycle of chemotherapy is finished.  You can try using moisturizing creams to avoid nail flaking.  You can also apply some nail polish if the discoloration really bothers you.
Blank
325698_tn?1216332354
a friend of mine who has already gone thru chemo lost her big toe nail and 2 finger nails due to chemo...honestly, i dont know if they turned black first or not....id just keep them trimmed as short as possible and be careful not to snag them on anything....
Blank
My nails on my fingers went completely black and partial on my toes during chemo. Finished chemo two weeks ago - waiting to see if blackness fades or grows out. At least it is not painful. Even if a nail drops off it will regrow eventually.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank