Breast Cancer Community
First Mammogram - Abnormal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

First Mammogram - Abnormal

I recently had my first mammogram and was called back to do another one. The radiologist recommended additional imaging evaluation and possible ultrasound due to scattered fibroglandular densitites and asymmetries in the MLO projection in the sub-areolar region of both breasts. I do not have a family history of breast cancer, yet I am somewhat uneasy with the news.  I understand that more than likely its nothing, but the small chance that it could be something is driving me bananas.  Any words of wisdom?
Scattered fibroglandular tissue is a term to describe the tissue in the breast which is a mixture composed of glandular and fatty tissue that appear lumpy or dense.
The fact that you are being called back for additional testing is very common.
The purpose of a spot compression mammogram ( the one you'll be having next) is to achieve better imaging of a particular region of the breast,especially because dense breast can make Mammography interpretation more difficult.
Your Doctor/Radiologist might recommend an Ultrasound "if" more information is mentioned on your report.If nothing suspicious is detected,your doctor will let you know when a follow-up is needed to make sure that no changes have occurred.
I hope that all will turn out just fine for you.
Best wishes...
Thank you so much for the information.  I've never experienced this so even though I believe everything should be ok, I'm still a bit nervous.  Thanks again.