Breast Cancer Community
Flax Hull Lignans & Breast Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Flax Hull Lignans & Breast Cancer

It has been quite sometime since I have posted a question.  I am a breast cancer survivor (3 yrs now) and have been so very blessed to come across such an informative and helpful organization.  Again, thanks so much to all of you that have been so helpful and supportive to me.  Since my breast cancer experience, I have done alot of digging and research to improve my health in general and have come across a very interesting herb that is supposed to prevent breast cancer recurrence as well as a preventative in general.  I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this particular herb or have any thoughts on it - "Flax Hull Lignans".  Here is an excerpt from the article and below you will see the link if you wish to read further.   My breast cancer was ER positive and I am currently on tamoxifen. Although I will be checking further with my oncologist, I am contemplating taking this herb.  

Thanks again so much to all for taking the time to read my post.
Warm Regards

Large-scale population studies show that diets rich in lignans
are associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer. Flax and
its lignans help protect against breast cancer by altering the
metabolism of estrogen and by decreasing cell proliferation,
according to findings from a small number of clinical studies.
The animal data are strong – flax and its main lignans interfere
with cancer processes and inhibit metastasis of mammary
(breast) tumours to the lungs and other organs. One
animal study found that the combination of flax and tamoxifen
was better at decreasing tumour size in mice than tamoxifen
alone. Eating flax regularly may reduce breast cancer risk and
improve the clinical prognosis for women with breast cancer.

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/english/pdf/Flax_FSht_Lignans08_R2.pdf
Hi Tina ... so good to hear that you are doing well; I remember you :) As far as suppliments go I'm always a bit cautious of the information that is published. Suppliments are good but you can certainly go overboard with them .... if we took to heart all the information that the manufacturers put out there we would be living on suppliments and most likely be very poor financially. My own personal feelings are that a good healthy lifestyle which includes a VERY sensible diet, regular exercise, etc.is the best in the long run. It's a personal decision of course on your part ... if you wish to suppliment your diet with some of these products then by all means do so but don't overdo it. Wishing you continued good health.   Regards ....
Hi Japdip.... it is so nice to hear from you! Always a pleasure and such a wealth of knowledge.  Once again - thank you for your words of wisdom.  You are absolutely right...... my brain seems to always be on "overload" with how one can improve their health in general.  It is nice to hear others thoughts as well.

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas, a prosperous New Year and of course good health!

PS - Stephen is currently working on his second CD with all proceeds to Cancer Research.

Warmest regards.
Tina  
Been away from the computer for a day or so ... thanks so much for the kind wishes. I just listened to that first CD a couple weeks ago. Please pat Stephen on the back for me .... he's great.
As far as suppliments go ... I take a couple myself but they are more geared to heart health. Bones too of course but I readily admit that I slip into the mode of "eat what you want ... be lazy if you want" now and then ... somehow I tell myself that's good for me too. LOL  Take care now .....