Breast Cancer Community
Flexibility in chemo schedule?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Flexibility in chemo schedule?

This may be a crazy question, but I'm trying to figure out my summer and chemo!  Is there 'wiggle' room with the chemo treatments? or do you have to go on the same day every three weeks?  My six weeks is almost up and I need to get started and want to do it on Fridays so that I'll have the week-end to recover, but 4th of July falls on the Friday that I would get my second treatment and I'm assuming that they don't do chemo on that day.

Thanks for any info.
Some docs offices don't close on that particular holiday.  Check with yours.  There is a little wiggle room, but mostly they like to keep things on schedule since it's easier to schedule patients consistent on a particular day rather than randomly.

You could do chemo on Thursdays as an alternative.  I did mine on Thursday afternoons so I had more than plenty of time to "bounce" back by Monday.  Hopefully you'll have as good a time with the chemo as I did...very little illness at all and only got REALLY tired just after treatment #3.  I did A/C every 3 weeks, then Abraxane every 3 weeks.

Good luck to you!
PS...not a crazy question.  I asked to move the start of my radiation out a week to accomodate me working at VBS.  Not a problem, usually.
Thanks for replying.  I'll check with my doctor's office.  I'm scheduled to have 4 rounds of cytoxan and taxotere.  Hopefully I'll have a pretty decent time of it!