Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Fluid in breast post-lumpectomy

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Fluid in breast post-lumpectomy
I had a lumpectomy 6 days ago.  There appears to be fluid in the breast involved - when I lie down I hear what appears to be "sloshing" or "gurgling" sounds of liquid moving about.  Is this normal, or do I need to call the surgeon?
Dear JROTH:  Fluid in the breast following surgery can be an entirely normal occurrence.  It should be reabsorbed in time.  You should let your surgeon know that this has occurred as a courtesy.  If it gets any worse, you should also let your surgeon know.  On rare occasions, the fluid may leak through the incision
A related discussion, Fluid ischarge after breast lump excision was started.