Breast Cancer Community
Focal Asymmetry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Focal Asymmetry

What is Focal Asymmetry?  What is the usual prognosis for this?  What are the percentages of this being malignant?  How many people have to have a needle biopsy?  This is a new Imaging Center for me.  Should I go two hours away to L.A. to my old place?  They are sending copies of the old xrays.  
Thanks to anyone who can help me.  I can't sleep.  Is this real bad?

Focal asymmetry means that there is an area that does not appear normal as compared to the rest of the tissue and further evaluation is needed.Until this abnormality is investigated,no one can say what it could be.Mammography and Ultrasound tests can give a Radiologist a pretty good idea if the abnormality has to be biopsied.This procedure is the only one that can tell for sure the nature of this abnormality. Most biopsies though, return a benign finding.
Please follow what your doctor, who is following your case,will suggest regarding additional tests if needed.
Hoping that everything will be just fine for you.
Best wishes and good luck...
Thank you for your response.  So, is what you are saying is that I will most likely need a needle biopsy?  I have implants, and that breastisvery encapsulated.  Also,  when is had my mammogam screening in Los Angeles, theytook a lot more angles or slides or xrays (sorry, I don't know what they are called.  Should i call my Doctor and ask his advise, or just wait until they have the old xrays to compare.  No one ever mentioned this focal asymmetry before.  I am 55 years old and have been having mammo's since i was 40.  I'm in Palm Springs (small town, altho' they have the Lcuy Cursi Breast Center), but i could go back to LA (Cedars Sinai).  Thanks again.
Hi again.
Not really,a needle biopsy will be required only if the radiologist,after comparing the films will deem that it is necessary to proceed with a biopsy.Radiologist have a System called BIRADS ( Breast Imaging Reporting and Data System) A category from 0 to 5 is given to determine how suspicious the abnormality is.If the category is a 4,a biopsy is usually recommended.If it's a 3 it's probably benign,but a follow up is needed at a scheduled time and also to compare the new films with the previous mammogram.If the score is a 2,it's a benign finding.You might want to call the radiologist to know more about the BIRADS score stated on your mammogram.
Once the comparison of the films is done,you will certainly be informed of what to do next.You could call your doctor for advice if you wish,it is always good to be more informed and reassured when you have questions that need to be answered.
There are several types of biopsies that could be done, including the one for women who have implants.
Please try to remain calm,it could be really nothing to worry about.
Take care...
Wow!, Zouzi,
You have been so helpful, caring and compassionate, and I truly appreciate it.  I'll let you know what happens. I hadn't heard of the BIRADS...
You take care, too.
Thank you..and yes, please let us know how things are proceeding.
Again ,all the best to you..
A related discussion, Focal Asymmentry was started.