Breast Cancer Community
Focal Ductal Hyperplasia with Apocrine Metaplasia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I have recently undergone a stereotactic biopsy and my pathology reports  came back as being diagnosed with Fibrocystic disease, areas of adenosis, sclerosing adenosis, Focal Ductal Hyperplasia, Apocrine Metaplasia and Microcalcifications."  Through my research, I keep finding the word "atypical" coming up when I type in "Focal Ductal Hyperplasia with Apocrine Metaplasia".  There is also a distinguishing between atypical and usual hyperplasia, which have different risk factors for breast cancer in the future.  Does anyone know if the combination of the hyperplasia with the metaplasia as well, puts me into the atypical hyperplasia category?  From what I have read, I am assuming I am in the "Atypical Hyperplasia" category, as they found the metaplasia as well. The pathology report does not mention the word "atypical" or "usual" when stating the hyperplasia.  I am trying to stay calm and with positive thoughts, but also trying to inform myself and prepare for what procedures might be in my future.  Any guidance would help, thanks.
Hyperplasia means there are more cells than normal within the duct, however the cells are normal cells not atypical (abnormal).
This condition is benign (not cancer) and usually develops naturally as the breast ages and changes and can affect women of any age.
Having hyperplasia alone does not increase your risk of developing breast cancer..However, it’s still important to be breast aware and see your doctor if you notice any changes in your breasts..
On the other hand,Atypical ( abnormal cells) hyperplasia which is also benign, can slightly increase the risk of developing breast cancer in the future.So in your case it's a good thing that "no Atypical" cells are mentioned in your report.  
Sclerosing adenosis is a non-cancerous breast condition that may slightly increase a person’s risk of breast cancer.Apocrine metaplasia is usually associated with breast fibrocystic changes and it's a benign condition.I am sure your radiologist has recommended which steps should be taken regarding follow up that would take into account these findings, your age and testing that has been done and should be done in the future etc..I don't think you should be worried about your biopsy report,but your doctor would be your best source of information to explain in details all these findings and give you a professional opinion.
All the best...
Thanks for your advice.  What has confused me is that the doctor when explaining the report to me mentioned that I had both hyperplasia (the rapid dividing) and the metaplasia (which was the abnormal cells).  When I went to research hyperplasia, it goes through a division of types of hyperplasia and their risk factors and I am having trouble defining which one I have.  My appt with the breast surgeon is not until Nov 13th, so I didn't want to wait until then to find out which type and it doesn't really specify which type on my biopsy report.  I think I will try to get a hold of my primary doctor again to ask her more specifics.  Thank you so much for your time and advice.  Greatly appreciated.