Breast Cancer Community
Focal asymmetry seen in mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Focal asymmetry seen in mammogram

I went for my yearly mammo and ultrasound last week and they found abt a 1cm  "focal asymmetry" in my left breast far back near the chest wall. I kept getting called in for more views because it was showing up in some pictures and not others. It did show up in the spot compression. I think at first they thought it was a fold in the skin. I'm pretty sure they are unclear what it is though...not a mass or lump. It looked like a little white splotch resembling tissue to me. I then went in for an ultrasound and it did not show up at all. The radiologist told me that she wants me to have a biopsy because its a "new" finding (was not on my mammos in the past. but she would be surprised if it was anything other than glandular tissue. She's just being cautious. I was wondering everyone's thoughts on this. I have no palpable lumps or lymph nodes. I should add that I am almost 38 yrs old and just had my third child last August. I also have been suffering from muscle pain in my upper left shoulder, back and arm and assuming it is from carrying the baby. I have had this in the past. Thank you...I'm very worried about this and haven't slept in days!!

Has there been any discussion of possibly having an MRI before moving to a biopsy?
No they never mentioned having one.
Has anyone ever heard of a focal asymmetry and is it unusual it did not show up on the ultrasound?
Focal asymmetry means that there is an area that does not appear normal as compared to the rest of the tissue and further evaluation is needed.Until this abnormality is fully investigated,no one can say what it could be.
Not all lesion will appear on an ultrasound or mammogram.Each test has it's limitations and what it can pick up.For example an ultrasound is better at differentiating between a mass that is solid or fluid filled,but can miss  asymmetric density.
So far, all the tests that you had, are not clear to the radiologist.....An MRI,is indeed valuable in the preoperative staging of breast cancer,but
has a limited role in the assessment of breast asymmetry.
In my opinion, cutting the chase and going directly to biopsy is your best option .Please keep in mind that most asymmetry breast tissue biopsied,return a benign finding,and I hope the same for you too.
Best wishes and good luck...