Breast Cancer Community
Freaking out over burning and swollen lymph node in left armpit

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hi everybody. This has me very concerned, but have had others tell me that cancer is usually "not" painful. I know it is usually not a good idea to be looking on the internet for signs and symptoms, but have done so and have gotten myself worked up. My problem: In May 2009, I noticed that my left arm pit was perspiring more than usual and burning, at first I noticed this about a week before my menses would start and when I would use my left arm during repetitive movements, and a couple of days after it would subside hence the reason I cancelled my Dr's appt with my NP for that month. In June, it started again, same thing, just before my menses-I decided to make an appt and keep it. About a week before the appt I noticed a lymph node was swollen and thought naw, can't be, well the NP looked at it and felt it and said that yes that the lymph node is slightly more swollen on the left, than on the right, asked me if I had any breast changes-to my knowledge, I haven't, then I told her I tend to sweat more on this side and she said then it could be a swollen sweat gland. She said she was going to schedule me for an ultrasound. This appt I had was on June 24th, the u/s was booked for July 24th, I know less than a week away, but I am freaking out. The burning is getting worse, especially if I put a warm compress on it, a cold compress seems to work better. The node in my opinion is movable, there is no rash, and no evidence of swelling when I lift my arms, but there is a slight burning sensation that radiates to the top of my left breast-only when lifting my arm. I wear undershirts and at times I have to adjust the left side because it is irritating the skin around the node. In February I had full blood work done including CBC count, my blood work came back perfect. I am 34 years old, a smoker (unfortunately), and my mother's grandmother was diagnosed has having bc when she was 98 years of age, no HX of bc for my mother or my mother's mother. This is really bugging me, can anyone give me advice about this, has anyone else experienced something like this? Thanks.
1 Comment
Well I think you are freaking out way too much over this swollen lymph node or whatever. Lymph nodes can become swollen due to an infection somewhere in the body. It is their job ! As you were told this may very well be a sweat gland. Without breast symptoms and no 1st degree family history I wouldn't be thinking Breast Cancer. I won't caution you about searching the internet since you seem to know that isn't the best idea. Way too much information that is general and very seldom can be applied to an individual situation. You could call the NP and ask what you might do to help with the discomfort in the meantime and RELAX !!  Regards ....