Breast Cancer Community
Getting Lumps removed next week...What to expect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hello Everyone. My OBGYN has scheduled me to have 3 solid masses in my breast removed the day after Christmas. I am wondering what I should expect the day of the surgery and after. I was told I would be asleep for the surgery, and I am happy about that. She said that I should be able to return to work in a couple days, just no lifting or raising of my arm. A week after the surgery I am to go back to her office to get the sutures removed and hear the result of the pathology reports. She said that chances are it is not cancerous, but having them removed and biopsied is the best decision. I am wondering what I should expect during the recovery period? I know I should buy sports bras and wear them 24 hrs a day for 2 weeks. Will I be in much pain, and will I be prescribed pain medicine? What are the chances that I will have dimpling and/or dents? The cut will be made around my nipple so hopefully the scar blends in somewhat.  How long is the surgery, and how long can I expect to be in the hospital for? Thank you so much for your help!
1 Comment
As far as how the area will appear after removal of the lumps depends much on how large they are now. Don't think that the immediate appearance will be permanent. Time changes so much as far as the appearance goes and I'm talking about months to a year. I'm sure you will receive post-op instructions as far as what to do and what to wear but I would think a couple good supportive sports type bras would be a good idea. You are always prescribed some type of mild pain medication and you may or may not need it ... often just a tylenol will be sufficient but that also depends on how extensive the surgery and how deep the lumps. No doubt you will also leave the hosp. with an ice pack or instructions to use one when you get home. Certainly have someone with you when you are given post-op instructions (but they are usually written down also) as you may be a bit groggy and might miss something.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery .......