Breast Cancer Community
Going for a biopsy and want to insert a clip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I was informed when I go for my biopsy tomorrow they are going to insert a clip.  I just wonder if we need to do this.  #1 if it is cancer I am opting for a double masectomy due to my family history.  But if not cancer do I need this - will it help them determine if this spot grows for future scans.  I do have a concern of being alergic (allergic) since I have other health issues and a strange system - have to do alternative treatments/supplements for my fibromyalgia because I get side effects etc. from conventional medications other don't get.  Not sure what to do.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks
Please see this thread, which relates to your question.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/Steel-Marker-Remained-after-Surgery/show/1307618

Best wishes...
I had one of those tiny titanium clips inserted 3 years ago... during my stereotactic biopsy. As it was being shown to me, I was told that it serves as a marker for future diagnostic referencing. So, I would say that it's necessary... in that respect. As for allergic reactions to metals, that's always a possibility; but, it's my understanding that an allergic reaction to this particular metal is rare. I'm also hypersensitive and prone to allergic reactions... and, so far, I haven't had any adverse reactions as a result of having the clip. But, your reluctance and concern is understandable; and, if you're truly against having the clip inserted, inform the radiologist and technicians of that decision.
It's your body and you can't be forced to have something implanted if you don't want it... for any reason. Good luck with the biopsy, "i"