Breast Cancer Community
Grade II of III
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Grade II of III

My mother was just diagnosed a few days ago with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Intermediate Grade, Modified Black's Nuclear Grade II of III in one breast.  They did a biopsy on the other breast and diagnosed it as a Sclerosing Fibroadenoma.  My question is about the Grade.  What is two of three?  Does this mean it is spreading and does she have an increased chance of it being in her lymph nodes because it is two of three?
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
I think you are confusing grade and stage.  Grade refers to the characteristics of a particular tumor (the one your mom had biopsied).  Grade one is considered to be the least aggressive and three the most aggressive.  Your mom's is in the middle.

Stage (1 to 4) is determined by a number of different elements:
1)Size of the tumor
2)Number of lymph nodes affected
3)If the cancer has spread to the surrounding area or to distant organs

Stage cannot be determined until your mom has her lumpectomy or mastectomy, a biopsy of her lymph nodes, and further testing such as MRI or CT scan.

Good luck to your mom on her treatment.
Blank
I am not confusing grade with stage.  I understand the stage cannot be determined until the lymph nodes are analyzed.  I am talking about GRADE.  They told her Grade II of III.  I understand grade I is a less aggressive cancer and grade III being a more aggressive.  With grade two does that mean it is possible the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes?  The tumor is less than 2 cm.
Blank
Sorry for my assumption.  It's just that when I was first diagnosed, I didn't know stage from grade from sentinel node from biopsy, etc., etc.

In answer to your question, even grade 1 could have spread to the lymph nodes and other organs.  I think that probably depends on how long the tumor has been there.  My tumor was grade 3, but had not spread to the lymph nodes and five years later I am still cancer free.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank