Breast Cancer Community
Grandmother diagnosed with breast cancer again :(

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

As the title states, my grandmother has been diagnosed for the 2nd time.  The first time she lost her left breast and now this time they're going to take the right one.  They don't want to risk chemo and radiation and it coming back. Her surgery is this Tuesday.
My question is...What are the odds of me or my mother getting this?   It's my maternal grandmother and this is the 2nd time now.  Are we at a high risk?  Am I more than my mother or vise versa?  Please help!  Thank you in advance!  
I'm sorry to hear that your Grandmother is having to go through another Cancer ordeal. This could either be a recurrence or another Primary cancer. I would imagine that following the Mastectomy she might receive some type of treatment unless her age or general health would prevent this.
As far as you and your Mother, there certainly may be an increased risk for developing breast cancer. Perhaps you should consider some Genetic testing to learn just how high your risks may be. You don't mention ages but certainly I hope that your Mother is having yearly Mammograms and on the advice of your Physician you might also need to be monitored more closely than others of your age. Best wishes for your Grandmother's surgery and speedy and uneventful recovery. If I were you I would have a serious discussion (and your Mother too) with a Breast Specialist regarding your possible risk factors.  Regards ....
Thanks so much for your quick reply and ty for your kind words.  She had her left breast removed about 15-16 years ago.  No chemo or radiation was needed.  Now they're removing the right one Tuesday.  I'm 34 and my mother is 53. My grandmother is 74 and very healthy.  She doesn't have to take any kind of medication for anything.
Do you know how old you are when they do routine mammograms?  Does having a family member having cancer help with getting them done sooner?
Again, tysm for everything!!  It's very appreciated.
You might want to get a mammogram for comparison.  I believe routine mammograms start at 40.  Things have changed a great deal since your grandmothers last breast removal.  Better screening, testing, medication.
Lots of progress in the last 15 years.  You and your mother should pay
attention to your breast health.  

Best to You,
13 year survivor

Thank you so much.  My mom has recently had her mammogram and thank god everything was okay.  We have fibrocystic breast anyways, not sure if that matters.  I'm going to check with my dr. to see how early I can start getting mammograms.  It's better to be safe than sorry.  

Just wanted to also say congratulations on being cancer free for 13 years!!
What concerns me most at this point is the fact that your Grandmother had NO treatment following her first Mastectomy and now this seems to be the case again. This I must say is VERY UNUSUAL in the treatment of all and any types of breast cancer. At the very least she should be seen by an Oncologist at some point when her healing is complete OF even before for a complete evaluation of all studies, reports and prior films.
As the previous poster stated the age is usually thought of as 40 ... this is NOT true when there is a strong family history and you are NOT too young to have your first screening Mammogram NOW. If possible I would also look into the Genetic testing that I mentioned previously and don't forget that you and your Mother should be doing monthly self exams and at least yearly Mammograms/Ultrasounds and a clinical exam by a Physician once a year. Kindest regards to all three of YOU.
I never understood why she didn't have anything done afterwards either.  She had no chemo, no radiation.  She said today that they did do a mammogram every year for 6 years afterwards.   I was mowing earlier today thinking about this and I remember that she lost 2 brothers to cancer.  One had pancreatic cancer and the other had prostate cancer.  Then her dad passed from colon cancer.  I know they're my great uncles, but still..it's in the blood line.   Also, is it true that this usually skips a generation?   Are me and my sister more at risk than my mom?  

Who would I speak to about getting this started?  I'm never sick so I don't have a "regular" doctor? My grandmother was 51 when she was first diagnosed..if that matters.  Someone mentioned age of her first diagnosis.  

Thank you so much again!!
Most likely the other cancers would not be related and I don't think Cancer skips anyone .... much less a generation. You might inquire at the hospital as to which Dr.s are available locally that have an interest in Breast Cancer in their practices. Contact an Oncology office and ask there about a Dr. that would be appropriate considering your family situation. I suppose even your OB/GYN Physician could get you started with the initial Mammogram and exam. The American Cancer Society would be another place for advice about the Genetic testing. If your Mother should test positive for the BC gene then you and your Sister would be positive also ... but she may not wish to be tested. Some women want to know and some don't. You certainly don't need to be as pro-active as the current Celebrity that has been in the news the past few days after revealing that she had a double mastectomy as a preventative measure. Even after Mastectomy there is an outside chance of developing Breast cancer even though most think that they are "home free". I don't believe age matters as far as when one is diagnosed ... I was diagnosed at age 65 with no family history and we deal with women in their 30s every day who have been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Our best hope is to be alert, pro-active so that IF we do become a victim of this dread disease it is discovered very early. Even though you say you are never sick it's definitely time to select a Primary Care Physician for yourself. I hope you will also encourage your Sister ... Take care