Breast Cancer Community
Granulomatous Mastitis help/dicussion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Granulomatous Mastitis help/dicussion

Like several others on this forum, I am 31 years old, have a 3 year old child, and breastfed for 18 months.  2 months ago, a large, painful lump/breast appeared overnight. 6 biopsy's and one lumpectomy, I was scared to death.  I was told it's a possibility that I do have breast cancer, although, after surgery, it was determined that I did not have cancer, rather Granulomatous Mastitis.  Currently, I live in Germany, and so far have been treated here.  Although, I find it extremely frustrating that now I have a diagnosis, the Dr.s here are still uncertain on how to treat me.  I'm looking for some help/guidance on what other woman have done with this?  I would like to have more children, and fear this disease is life altering for me.  I am not willing to do cortisone therapy, as I already have done 2 months and the lump is still rapidly growing!!  I tend to think a mastectomy is the best (yes, drastic) way to ensure this is out of my body.  Any thoughts??

This discussion is related to Granulomatous Mastitis.
All I know is that Granulomatous mastitis is sometimes very hard to be completely cured,but please click on the link below,where you'll find information by other women who are dealing  with it.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/granulomatous-mastitis/show/707

I hope that it will be of some help to you.

Best wishes..
I read that IGM can be treated with steroids and in most cases was resolved using them.  I would Google Granulomatous Mastitis and steroid.  I can get the link to the article I found and post it if it would be helpful.

http://www.issoonline.com/content/4/1/21
Unfortunately, I don't believe the treatment is as simple as you suggest. Corticosteroids may help in some cases, but as stated in the article you cited:

"There is no clear clinical consensus regarding the ideal therapeutic management of idiopathic granulomatous mastitis. Treatment options include expectant management with spontaneous remission, corticosteroid therapy, immunosuppressive agents and extensive surgery for refractory cases."

hi all

we have a group on medhelp of 44 women dealing with this disease, given its rarity, that is quite an achievement

zouzi gave the right link:

GM is a very poorly understood disease with unknown cause and very complicated treatment unfortunately.  Treatment with corticosteroids is often not very successful, methotrexate is often now used, either in conjunction with corticosteriod or alone.  A large number of women have to resort to double mastectomy to achieve full healing.  Tough disease, but there is hope and healing.

We have a great group with lots of support for anyone suffering with this, so please join us.

Cheers,

Jojo45