Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Green Breast Discharge and Breastfeeding

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I have had a greenish/brownish discharge for approximately 10 years from my left breast.  It seeps, but not enough to stain my clothing.  Though I find residue of this dried and hard in the skin folds of the nipple every day.  I can also "milk" the nipple lightly and produce this greenish liquid from three different spots on the nipple.  I was told by one doctor 9 years ago to just avoid caffeine and it would go away.  It didn't.  So, I went to another doctor who performed a mammogram and ultrasound.  She felt I should have 4 ducts removed surgically, but I was uncomfortable with a surgical procedure and opted not to have it performed.  After 8 years I still have the discharge in only the left breast and when I'm ovulating I have quite a bit of pain on the left side of that breast if I bump it in any way, but this goes away after 2 or three days.  I'm planning to get pregnant in approximately 1 year and am wondering three things.  1) What could this situation really be?  2) Could this condition affect my pregnancy?  3)  Will this greenish discharge prevent me from breastfeeding or will it harm my baby in any way?  Thank you so much,
FairyChild
Dear FairyChild, Many women have some type of nipple discharge or fluid when their breasts are squeezed, and its normal. Squeezing the nipple sends message to the brain and the pituitary gland responds by increasing prolactin levels, which in turn produces discharge from the nipple.  The discharge can come in a variety of colors