Growing Fibroadenoma w coexistent Pituitary Adenoma
Hello- I am a 49yr old female who has been battling Graves/Hashimoto's disease since 2003.  I had my thyroid irradiated in 2003 and during a follow-up MRI found I also had a pituitary adenoma which was non-functioning.  This past April 2009, my routine mamogram and sonogram showed a benign fibroadenoma in my right breast.  Pathology indicated it was benign mammary parenchyma showing prominant stromal fibrosis.  My recent blood tests in November 2009 indicate an elevated Prolactin level and decreased Vit D from last blood tests taken in March 2009.  On follow-up sonogram evaluation in Dec 2009, my breast specialist saw that the fibroadenoma in my right breast increased in size a small amount.  My questions are as follows:  Do fibroadenomas grow after being stable and if so what is the usual cause?  When fibroadenomas grow are they indicative of anything worse like cancer?  Can elevated prolactin (level increase from 9 to 36) cause an existing growth to grow or new to develop?  Do fibroadenomas ever turn into cancerous tumors?
To answer just one part of your question, as you probably are aware, the elevation in  prolaction could be related to the pituitary tumor (athough it was ruled "non-functioning," this may have changed over time) or to certain medications you may be taking.

Pituitary tumors can often be control or shrunk by mediction (such as bromocriptine) or in some cases by surgery is indicated.  Your level is still not very high (I have know people in whom it suddenly jumped up to 200), but I believe that there is some evidence elevated prolactin is associated with an increased risk for BC, so steps to lower it may be recommended, esp. if the level shows a steady increase.

Regards...