Breast Cancer Community
HCG and breast cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

HCG and breast cancer

is there any correlation between HCG for weight loss and breast cancer ?
Hi.

It is very early to tell if HCG shots would increase the incidence of certain cancers, or specifically breast cancer.  Carcinogenesis, or cancer formation requires a very long span of time.  The HCG weight loss program would need about 5-10 years of widespread use before we can see any correlation with cancer, or with any other diseases for that matter.

I believe there are safer ways to lose weight rather than the use of injectable drugs.  We would not know within the next decade if this drug would indeed increase the chance of developing breast cancer.

Regards.
You say: 'Carcinogenesis, or cancer formation requires a very long span of time.'
I am very interested in this comment.  I understand that there are fast, and slow growing cancers, but I am not sure if this is the case after the cancer is diagnosed, or diagnosable, or if this also refers to the time span between exposure to a carcinogen and the formation of the actual cancer.

I had/have IBC, and was diagnosed in June of 2007. How long do you think did it take between exposure and for the cancer to have developed fully? (And I realize that by the time of diagnosis itself, the cancer was most likely already there for a while and progressing)

Thank you in advance.  I do know that you prefer that we do not place a question under someone else's question but rather place our questions separately. but in this case, it seemed appropriate to me. Sorry if it's not.