Breast Cancer Community
HELP! DO I HAVE BREAST CANCER OR NOT?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

HELP! DO I HAVE BREAST CANCER OR NOT?

What does suboptimal for cytological diagnosis mean?
1 Comment
Hi there,

You haven't provided much information with your question which means I have to assume certain things (which isn't ideal really) but let's give it a shot.

It sounds that either yourself or perhaps a relative has had a biopsy performed and was given the result as being "suboptimal for cytological diagnosis"

Let's start with what cytological diagnosis means

In pathology cytology refers to the study under a microscope of individual
cells to establish a cause of disease, most commonly for a pre-malignant or
malignant condition. Cells are stained with a number of tinctorial or
other stains that enable the nuclear and cytoplasmic features of cells to be examined.

In simpler words, the sample is obtained from the biopsy, placed onto a slide to be viewed by a skilled practitioner who can then give the findings of what type of cells are present from the biopsy.

Then we look at the word "suboptimal" and in the context of a biopsy, this usually means that there was a scant specimen I.e. not enough to make a diagnosis.

This, unfortunately, tells you not much at all. If you can give us more context as to what happened to get this comment, or if there were other results besides this, we can certainly try and help you further and would be very happy to do so as this brings so much anxiety to everyone concerned.

However, by simply going by what you have provided, I would be going immediately back to the centre in which it was performed and asking the main question - if there was not a good sample taken to provide an accurate result, when can you schedule this to be performed again so that we know for sure what we are dealing with.

They are the people really who can help you the best.
I'm sorry this has happened to you or to your family but the most important thing, is to get an accurate result as soon as possible.

I wish you all the best and send you my very best wishes during this stressful time