Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Had a subcutaneous 20 yrs ago and now trouble.

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

I know I need to see a Dr and this will be done this week for sure or I will present myself to the ER to get the ball rolling.

A brief background
Hysterectomy with overies removed 30 yrs ago.
Continuing problems with severe fibrocystic disease resulting in simple mastectomy on left and subcutaneous on the right ( I must have been crazy to agree to that).

ANYWAY, no problems right up to this past week. Right breast is very painful and warm to the touch, feels like it's swollen. Lymph nodes don't seem to be swollen under the arm but are in the neck. I have a strong family history of breast cancer and Hodgkin's.

Could this possibly be a cyst with that much tissue removed or could I be looking at IBC? I really am in a lot of pain and at the end of my rope. I will honestly get this evaluated but, I don't want to take a brush off if there may be something serious about this.

Comments?? PLEASE!!!!
Dear HappyDance1:  This sounds like some type of inflammation.  It could be an infection of some sort.  Of course, it is possible that this is IBC.  The only way to know is to see a doctor.  You should try to get an appointment ASAP if you are in this much pain and all this has happened so rapidly.
the hallmark of IBC is redness of the skin of the breast (that doesn't always mean IBC, but without it, it's probably not.)
The only way to find out what's going on is to be examined; an online diagnosis isn't possible. Most things that cause breast pain aren't cancer. But follow through with your plan to see a doctor.
I'll let you know the results as the appt is in the AM.

Thank you.
Dx is  costochondritis which can mimic breast pain or pain similar to a heart attack.

Meds are prednisone and Percocet.

Thank you for all your time!!