Breast Cancer Community
Hair Regrowth after chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hair Regrowth after chemo

I finished my chemo A/C treatments and followed the Taxol ending Sept 2008 for breast cancer.  My hair regrowth isn't coming in very good.  Around the bottom and sides it is coming back like my old hair but the top and crown is extremely thin.  It looks like a mans head who is balding on top.  Has anyone had it come back like this and if I shave it on top will it come back thicker.  Someone told me it would.  I am so depressed to think I will have to wear a wig forever.
There is no way to tell when or if your hair re-growth will be complete. Every persons body reacts differently to the Chemo drugs. I'm not sure shaving it would help; I suppose if you're brave you could give it a try. Many women have hair re-growth that is entirely different than their pre-chemo hair. I think it's different for everyone. I tend to think that one's life is much more important than great hair but I suppose that's an individual thing.    Regards ....
I dont know about your chemo drugs BUT i do know that Taxotere can and does cause permanent hair loss. Of course this is being kept quiet - it would wouldnt it but there are many of us out there.
You can see my info on
http://taxoterehairloss.blogspot.com/
and i also made a video on youtube which you can see here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYCgYl7VSJ8

Oncologists/doctors/medics are mostly poo hooing this but believe me it happens.
A top biotech company in Sweden inform me that 6.3% of parients having Taxotere do not get their hair back!
I too am having problems with my hair, I am afro american and had chemo and radiation the later part of 2005 and finished up all my treatments in 2006. My hair has come back but it it like two different grades of hair. Thick around the perimeter and thin in the top. I am wearing an afro so it is not too bad, I just do not know what to do. I am trying a product that I bought at an Ulta cosmetic store. The lady told me it was good for people such as my self. I try not to frustrate myself too much over this. Since my treatments I have not used any chemicals on my hair. My hair is gradually filling it but slowly. My beautician does not know what to to about my hair, I just get it washed and conditioned. I get color but it is a vegetable based color from the health food store.  I do not like wearing a wig so I grin and bear it. I am so glad I read your information, I thought I was the only person that experienced this. I am not happy you experienced this but I feel a little better knowing that I am not the only person that has gone through this,
What did you buy at Ulta????  I am desperate.  I was finally feeling good about myself again and ready to go wigless.  Had a haircut onTuesday and it was a butcher job.  It was the worst haircut I have ever had in my entire life.  I am back to square one.  Totally depressed and no hope of ever looking liike a girl again.  I will never go to Frank Anthony in Chester, NJ again.  Spent alot of money and got absultely nothing but upset and pain.  I will try anything at this point to grow my hair and I don't care what it costs?  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

beachgirl6