Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Help Understanding

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Help Understanding

I found what I felt to be a lump in the right breast axilla area only when I extend my arm over my head can I feel it. I also had breast pain which is how I found the lump. Went for a breast exam at the MD office. Sure enough she said she felt the lump in the axilla however she did the exam with me sitting up(strange). She sent me for a ultrasound. Nothing was seen because the radiologist said it was so far back and probably deep in the chest wall(the pain and lump). So MD sent me for a mammogram. It showed mild Parenchymal Asymmetry with Biards catogory 3. I have to have another mammo in six months. Is this anything to be concerned about what does all this mean? Can't get into see MD for 3 weeks as she is on vacation. Please help. Still having pain in that area but anxiety is worst.
Dear Jkimmie,  A BIRAD 3 means that the abnormality is likely benign and that follow up would be recommended in 6 months.  Over the internet without being able to evaluate including physical examination, questioning and review of films it is difficult to advise any further.