Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Hematma Resolution

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hematma Resolution
Hello, I had a small breast cyst aspirated 3 weeks ago. The pathology came back totally benign. But, in the process of the aspiration, the surgeon hit an artery and the result was a hematoma. Well, the hematoma is finally less painful, but I am still bruised (greenish now). And,  where the cyst was, I still feel a "limp". The surgeon says that is the "blood clot" and it will resolve. My question is, do these hematomas completely resolve and how long does that usually take. If it does not resolve completely and I am left with a "lump" in that spot, how will it appear on my next mammogram. My fear is, they will suggest a biopsy of the hematoma. It seems I had a little problem and now I may have a bigger one?

Linda J
Dear Linda J:  Hematomas can take a long time (months) to resolve.  It should eventually do so.  If there is an abnormality on the next mammogram, it will be evaluated with the knowledge that there was a hematoma and recommendations made accordingly.  
Thanks for the reassurance. I guess 3 weeks isn't enough time for resolution. My next mammogram isn't until May 2007, and I will also see my breast specialist for a check-up before then, so I guess the keyword at this point is patience.

Linda J
Linda, you mentioned your breast specialist in your previous note. I wonder who is supposed to follow up and keep an eye on your breast after you have some treatment in your case (or some problems in my case). Is it your surgent, primary care physician, gynecologist or another specialist?
Hi there. In my case, I asked the breast specialist if I could  see her for follow-ups instead of my primary or my gyne. She said "it might be overkill", meaning unnecessary, but she said it was fine with her. I am thinking I will give the hematoma 4 months or so to resolve and if it hasn't, do a recheck with her. I feel like since she is the one who did the aspiration, she knows the location and size of what was there previously.

Linda J