Breast Cancer Community
Hematoma / bruising on the breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Hematoma / bruising on the breast

I had an ultrasound done and the radiologist reported that my bruising and the marble sized (firm) bump under the bruise and just below the surface of the side of my left breast is just a hematoma.  How can they tell?  They had no charts to compare with.  It has been over a week and the bruising is starting to fade but the the lump is still just as large and feels firm.  Should I wait or go for a second opinion?

This discussion is related to breast hematoma and ultrasound.
There are many things that could cause bruises in the breast.The most common is injury to a blood vessel that causes bleeding under the skin.Sometimes,something as simple as bumping into something will cause a bruise and very often we may not even remember when or how it happened.When a blood vessel is damaged blood leaks into the surrounding tissue, coagulates and forms a hematoma
Usually small hematomas go away on their own after a while.You could gently massage the breast and apply warm compresses to help dissolve it.
If the lump you have was questionable after your U/S test,rest assured that a biopsy would have been recommended.
However,if you are worried and things don't improve over the next week or two,you could discuss with your doctor if the hematoma could be resolved through surgical evacuation.You could also ask if you might have a problem with clotting,then your doctor might want to have your coagulation parameters checked.out.
Best wishes...
Yes the bruise is fading and the lump does seem to be getting smaller.  I have been applying warm compressess to the area and that did help.  I am planning a breast reduction and some liposuction for the sides of the breast and back.  Hopefully if anything is left it will be sucked away....anyway that is planned for the first week of June.  Thanks for the reply, I did go and get the radiologist report and the cd's of the ultrasound scan just in case.
Hi again.
Since the bruise is fading away and the lump is getting smaller,it's a good sign.
Keep applying warm compresses and I hope that soon the hematoma will disappear completely.

PS.Please,do not start a new thread if you have any additional questions or comments.It would be better if you keep them on the same thread by using the space below the answer/s you have received.This helps to have all your information together so we can better help you.
Thank you.