Breast Cancer Community
How accurate are Core Breast Biopsies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

How accurate are Core Breast Biopsies

I recently just had a fine needle aspiration, core breast biopsy and had an excisional biopsy done on Thursday.  The doctor took out the problem lump (which when she went in was a lot bigger) - I was having discharge from my nipple (yellow) that prompted me to take the lump out - I never had discharge before.  I am 54 and in menopause and still have a menstrual period.  My mother just recently lost her left breast to breast cancer and that is what prompted me to go.  I have had this same lump since 2001 and they have told me that it was tissue left over from a fine needle aspiration from years ago - it was a big aspiration 10cc came out of the lump itself and I was left with the size of a pea in 2001 but over the years I guess the tissue has thickened.  Now, the fine needle aspiration came out negative and the core breast biopsy came out negative - but now that she has taken this lump out - I am waiting again for test results - how accurate is the core breast biopsy - I am worried that they did not test properly if this comes back positive.  I don't understand how many tests I have to go through.  Worried sick.  I have seen what my mother is going through and ready to just have a double masectomy and reconstructive surgery - I think I will get cancer from the stress of waiting for test results the last 10 years.
1 Comment
Core biopsies are quite accurate if the proper area is sampled. Needle biopsies can miss the specific area of suspiscion as such a small sample is taken. i'm not sure why you think that the testing on the lump after removal will be any different than the core biopsy done before removal. I suppose you could have had the lump removed in the very beginning or at least after the needle biopsy if you wished or the Surgeon thought it was necessary. Actually you only have to go thru as many tests as you agree to and I don't think you are going to develop breast cancer from worrying about the Path report on the lump.If the lump in 2001 was some type of cyst it could have been removed then and it's highly possible that it has refilled with fluid over the years. It sounds like you might be stressing out due to your Mother's experience as much as your own at this point.     Regards ....