Breast Cancer Community
How accurate are Core Breast Biopsies
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

How accurate are Core Breast Biopsies

I recently just had a fine needle aspiration, core breast biopsy and had an excisional biopsy done on Thursday.  The doctor took out the problem lump (which when she went in was a lot bigger) - I was having discharge from my nipple (yellow) that prompted me to take the lump out - I never had discharge before.  I am 54 and in menopause and still have a menstrual period.  My mother just recently lost her left breast to breast cancer and that is what prompted me to go.  I have had this same lump since 2001 and they have told me that it was tissue left over from a fine needle aspiration from years ago - it was a big aspiration 10cc came out of the lump itself and I was left with the size of a pea in 2001 but over the years I guess the tissue has thickened.  Now, the fine needle aspiration came out negative and the core breast biopsy came out negative - but now that she has taken this lump out - I am waiting again for test results - how accurate is the core breast biopsy - I am worried that they did not test properly if this comes back positive.  I don't understand how many tests I have to go through.  Worried sick.  I have seen what my mother is going through and ready to just have a double masectomy and reconstructive surgery - I think I will get cancer from the stress of waiting for test results the last 10 years.