Breast Cancer Community
How do you handle 2 different answers from 2 different radiologists abo...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

How do you handle 2 different answers from 2 different radiologists about mammogram results?

I am a 43 yrs old and a nervous wreck. This is my second time ever having a mammogram. The last time I had a mammogram I was 37 yrs old.  Then, I was told I had a lot of fatty tissues-if my memory serves me correctly. Trust me, I will never let time lapse again between mammograms. These last couple weeks have drove me completely crazy. Waiting on test results.

Mammogram results
Radiologist 1- on 11/12/10 Stated moderate density with a 7-8 millimeter nodule near nipple; recommended spot compression and ultrasound.

Radiologist 2- Today 11/26/10, stated that the area is very dense and she (radiologist-2) couldn't say if it is a nodule or not-not sure what it is at this point; She said the spot compression detected the area of concern and its very dense; and the ultrasound didn't show anything; recommended I return in 6 months to see if it's still there-this is something they like to watch for at least 2 years. Another thing, the ultrasound technician was in distressed while performing my ultrasound test because her son had been beaten and robbed 40- 45 minutes prior to me having my ultrasound done. So, she wasn't too focused and I can understand that-too.

Please advise as to what I should do? I plan to tell my doctor that I'm not pleased with the results. I feel like I'm getting to different answers and I'm still a nervous wreck at this point. Am I over acting? God knows I'm concerned this is my health. I've read too many stories where radiologists blew patients off and they were later diagnosed with cancer.
First, I would file complaints against the ultrasound technician with the facility where she works; I would file a complaint against her supervisor, if the supervisor was aware of the situation and did not send the technician home; I would file a complaint with the technician's certification/licensing board - and I'd go elsewhere for an evaluation.

If ANY of us ever encounter a situation like that, we need to leave the area.

This 'nodule' could be recent, so annual mammograms would not necessarily have shown it.  Do you do self-breast exams, and was it there?  Do you have the actual radiology reports?  What is the meaning of, "the ultrasound didn't show anything?"

They've really gotta either start giving women valium when this stuff starts, or get their acts together.

Was it suggested that this nodule was solid, oval, irregular?  That it looked more like a benign nodule than anything else?  I wonder where you were in your menstrual cycle.  Going back to -- did you feel it?  Could anyone feel it?

Did I say?  Do some research and find a better facility and radiologists to see you.