Breast Cancer Expert Forum
How long can I wait to have procedure

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

How long can I wait to have procedure

I am a 48 yr old female who had a MRI mammogram with contrast. This showed a suspicious area for which biopsy was recommended. Multiple core biopsy samples were obtained, with a 9 gauge core vacuum assisted biopsy device, of the extremely subtle non-mass area which could only be found with contrast. The final pathology result indicated focus of atypical ductal hyperplasia and flat epithelial atypia. Adenosis; stromal sclerosis. Surgical consultation with excision is recommended in light of the atypia.
How long can I prudently wait to have this done? Must I have this done immediately or will waiting a few months make a difference?  In light of my very strong family history of breast cancer I have decided to have the bilateral mastectomy with reconstruction and timing would be better to have it in August. I would like to avoid having 2 procedures but would I be risking things getting a lot worse or does it take longer than a few months to progress? thank you for your help.
Dear yorkshirerose,  Atypical ductal hyperplasia (ADH) is a condition in which there is an overgrowth of cells within the duct and the pattern of their growth is atypical. It is not cancer or precancer but its presence is considered to increase a person's risk for developing breast cancer in the future (if and when that would happen is unpredictable). The area of ADH is usually removed as a part of a biopsy and close follow-up (with mammography and breast exam) is the extent of treatment.  Decisions about type and timing of further surgery need to be determined in weighing of risks vs. benefit for the individual patient in context of the individual patient situaion.