Breast Cancer Expert Forum
How long to get biopsy results

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

How long to get biopsy results

I had stereotactic biopsy last week and still no results.  How long would one expect to wait if the pathology department is onsite.
Thanks.
Dear co1214:  In general, biopsy results take about a week.  If, for some reason, it is not straight forward, it could take longer to have others review it.  You might call the doctor who did the biopsy and ask if he/she can call to check on the results.
I have to get multiple stereotactic biopsies --I am extremely nervous and  frightened. I have never had anything like this happen in my life (not even stitches) I have really wanted to talk to someone who has gone through it.  Was is horrible? I asked for conscious sedation-basically they said no-I dont know what I am dealing with here--maybe conscious sedation is too heavy handed for this procedure? If you dont mind talking about it--Can you tell me about it?
Each institution would differ in the length of time between biopsy and the report reaching your ordering Physician. I would think 7 to 10 days but it's really hard to say. The specimen has to be studied, the report dictated and then typed and then sent to your Physician. Things like this always move too slowly for those of us who WAIT. Regards .....
The biopsy itself was easy.  I hardly felt the numbing medication and after that I felt nothing.  The worse part was that I had to lie stomach down on the table with my neck turned to one side, and it was not the most comfortable position.

My doctor finally received the biopsy results yesterday afternoon - 7 days after the biopsy.  I go in to get the results in two hours, and there is an abnormality on the biopsy.  I'm hoping and praying it's something early and treatable.
I used to work in a pathology department.  Breast biopsies take a minimum of 48 hours and that's just until the doctor can read them.  If there are any concerns or questions, another pathologist (in the same department) will give an opinion.  It then has to be dictated and transcribed (minimum of a few hours if the transcriptionists are good).  It has to be proof read by the doctor, signed, and finalized.  Usually the reports are faxed to your doctor, but in many cases are still handled by courier.  So, all of that can add up to days while you wait and your stomach is churning!!!  I had my biopsy on a Friday and when I went into work on Monday, I got the results.  Unfortunately my boss had to tell me the bad news but the good news is that I'm 4-1/2 years out and doing fantastic!!!
Good Luck.
Hi, I posted you a few times on another thread and was hoping to hear from you - I really hope that you are ok, please let me know.
Hazel
I'm back.  I took a few days off from the internet.  

This week, I'm going to visit a reconstructive surgeon and radiation oncologist, and then I'll determine if I'm going to go with lumpectomy/radiation ( I don' t like the thoughts of the rad - I used to be an X-ray tech and there can be some side effects), mastectomy or mastectomy with reconstruction.  I'm guessing whatever  I decide will probably occur next week or the following.
Hi, just wanted to say that I hope you are doing ok and that you have made your choice and that its all soon behind you, and you can move on with your normal life.

Take care
Hazel
A related discussion, biopsy results was started.