Breast Cancer Expert Forum
How many laxillary lymph nodes are there?
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How many laxillary lymph nodes are there?

While undergoing a lumpectomy, 1 of my 3 sentinal nodes was positive. Total number removed was 9. My surgeon tells me I have "a few" axillary lymph nodes remaining. I can't seem to find out what the approximate number of nodes an individual has. A year ago a friend of mine had a total of 36 nodes removed, 16 were positive. She now has a mild form of lymphedema caused by over extending the muscles due to heavy housework. She has 0 axillary nodes left in that arm. My surgeon informed me only to be concerned with cat scratches, nicks, abrasions, anything that could cause a possible infection. She seems quite certain I won't have a problem with lymphedema, but if I did anything strenuous I should wear a pressure garment, i.e; rowing, cross-country skiing. She also told me to use my arm the same as I did before surgery; hand weights, exercise. I am very careful and always conscience now of of my left arm and check it daily for any signs of swelling. I will soon complete 7 weeks of radition to the breast area only. Have additional nodes been damaged?