Breast Cancer Community
How much Iodine should I take to prevent breast calcification?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I had a mammogram after being free of breast cancer for eight years and they say I have a small calcification in that breast that should be checked in six months.  I heard that Iodine can cure calcifications.  How much to take is the question.
Hi.
Radiologists are able to identify typically benign breast calcifications depending on their form and pattern.If no suspicion is detected a biopsy is not required to prevent unnecessary procedures.
The report on your mammogram could be a Category 3,"probably benign finding" to have suggested a short-interval follow-up.( check your report or call the radiologist to find out about your BIRADS score)
BIRADS score 3 is used when a noted finding has a very high probability of being benign.The finding is not expected to change over the follow-up interval, but the radiologist prefers to establish its stability over time.
The BIRADS score,go from 0 to 5 and this terminology is used by radiologists to describe mammography findings.The higher the number the most suspicious the finding will be.
BI-RADS category 3  means probably benign in 90% of cases and short term follow up test is necessary.
I really wouldn't worry so much if I were you ,because what your radiologist has recommended is standard procedure.If the suspicion about these calcifications were more elevated,a biopsy would have certainly been ordered.
I really cannot advise you concerning the "iodine" supplement.This is something that you should discuss with your prescribing doctor to make sure that it's safe to take,because of it's numerous side effects.
Take care and best wishes...
I just sent you a private message.
Please click on your "inbox" at the top of this board (on the right side)
Iodine has been connected with Fibrocystic Condition in that the Thyroid is suspected as a partial cause and the Iodine is connected to the functioning of the Thyroid. Other than that I know of no proven advantage of taking Iodine. To add to Zouzi's response you should NEVER even consider taking any type of suppliment until you have discussed it with your Physicians. You could do more harm than good in many instances.    Regards ....