Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Hyperplasia???

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Hyperplasia???

I have received by phone the "preliminary" results from my two needle localized biopsies. (both biopsies on same breast)
The doctor said at this point it looks clear, but there is hyperplasia there. My question is, with the hyperplasia can it ever disappear? Or is this something I will have to keep an eye on forever.? The surgeon had said that there was still some test that pathology has not received back yet. In your opinion could this be something (these other test) that could go from "at this point it looks clear" to "it looks like cancer"?
Note: about 1 1/2 years ago I had microcalcification removed by loacalized needle biopsy, and they had found ADH,and having 2 biopsies at that point, never had children my doctor suggested for me to take Tamoxifen. I know ADH is not necessary a pre cursor for cancer but how often does someone get cancer who does have ADH ?

Thank You, So Much!
Dear Rfrancis, Hyperplasia means that there are more cells than normal.  Hyperplasia in itself is not considered a risk factor for development of breast cancer, however atypical ductal hyperplasia is considered a risk factor.  We don't know if it means that atypical hyperplasia leads to cancer or that the conditions that allow atypical hyperplasia to be present also would let cancer be present.  

Regarding further results that the pathologist is waiting on it is unlikely that it would change the diagnosis.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Confused about biopsy results was started.